Ski Team Donation:
- $200 – We request a donation to cover the costs of this sport. This amount is based on many years experience of the long run expense of running the team. This is the major source of funding for the team and is used to cover the expenses described below. The only additional source of funds has been an annual donation of $500 by Auburn Ski Club, Inc (the Senior Club) which has allowed us to make capital expenditures such as build up a fleet of roller skis. Occasionally, we have received a much appreciated donation from the Nordic Skiers of Nevada County.
Direct Fixed Expenses
- For the 2017-18 season our team has to pay about $1800 in direct charges just to exist!
- The CNISSF charges the team $300 per year to belong to the League.
- The NU Athletic Department charges the team $250 per year to cover administration costs.
- Assistant Coach Stipends and other direct coach expenses $1250
Waxes and Supplies
- Competitive athletes need more expensive waxes. Averaged over the normal range of athlete abilities our consumable budget and expected tool replacement is normally about $25-$35 per athlete.
- Base preparation and travel wax is needed to keep the bases of the skis in healthy condition. All athletes require base prep wax which at present is costs about $5 per athlete per season.
- Glide wax is needed to match the base of the ski to the prevailing snow conditions. Low Fluoro wax for each athlete costs a bout $1 per application for each race or about $8 per athlete per season. Paste wax is a little cheaper.
- Grip Wax is required for about the top one third of our athletes during classic races and training. This costs around $3 per application per athlete or around $15 per season.
- Other supplies such as paper towels, rubber bands, propane for waxing torches, wax remover (currently over $25 per half liter) all have to be supplied.
- Tools like brushes, scrapers, rillers, waxing irons, heat guns, propane torches get broken and must be replaced.
- At present we need to replace/augment our waxing profiles and number of irons, as we have a bottleneck every Thursday before races and our last athletes are not able to finish before 6pm. We have budgeted an additional $800 for this which will be spent if we have the funds. Our hope is to have 12 operational waxing stations so the team can wax in two shifts of about an hour each.
Here are some representative costs that we face just for equipment:
- Our race suits which cost about $250 to replace last around 10 years so we must build up a reserve of about $25 per athlete per year to cover this.
- Every year some poles get broken and these must be replaced at around $35 a set.
- After about 10 years, ski technology changes enough that we need some new skis so our athletes can remain competitive – skis and bindings cost around $150-250. We should be replacing around 3 pair of skis a year. At present we have a lot of athletes racing on skis that are considerably older than they are.
- Boots have a shorter life than we had hoped and we need to replace 2-5 pairs per year at between $40-60 for a used pair. Roller skiing is particularly tough on boots. At present we have a lot of athletes that are racing in boots that require duct tape to hold them together before each time on snow.
- Roller ski maintenance. We get regular tire/wheel wear and also the occasional broken shaft. We have a fleet of 30 roller skis and spend on average around $20 per athlete per year for maintenance/replacement.
- Roller Ski poles cost about $5 per year per athlete to replace the worn carbide tips.
Membership in Auburn Ski Club:
- The Club provides our on-snow training venue with about 15 km of groomed trails for us to practice on. The Club insists that all athletes we bring to practice must be members, and, in support of High School sports gives them a free season trail pass. The special High School Athlete membership is $25 per season. We will provide the online link soon for team members to join. Coaches will receive a list of team members who have completed the registration.
Additional Costs for Items NOT provided by Team
- Nordic Ski Gloves: $15 – $40. For the very budget conscious, a good pair of woollen mittens can be adequate.
- Water Bottle & Holster: $15+ (sports store or surplus store)
- Hat, windproof pants, sunglasses etc: $30+.
- Roller Skiing protective equipment: such as helmet, gloves, knee pads etc. $15-$50.
- There will be additional costs for the optional overnight trip to Mammoth to cover transportation, food and accommodation. We also expect that parents who do not volunteer to drive, should subsidize the expenses of the parents who do (we try and set up a parent volunteer to administer this).